Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halloween or Ghoul's Night Out











I adore Halloween. Actually, any holiday that involves getting free candy is ok in my book. Seriously though, Halloween has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I like the scary, gruesome type of decorations, not the cutesy, country-ish pumpkin and scarecrow thing. We are having a Halloween party (you are all invited) on the 31st this year. My husband's birthday is the 27th, so it will be dual duty so to speak. I will have before and after pics posted. Our house is old and drafty and dusty most of the time, so I really didn't have to cobweb up a whole lot. Although, when I went to put the dripping blood wall decorations up above the china cabinet ( see pics) I ran into a real, live spider of the big nasty sort. I HATE SPIDERS!! The webs, meh. The actual bugs, arghhh!!! So he was sucked up in the vacuum, along with the multi-layered condo he had built way up there. I found out a couple of years ago how to make spider web out of panty hose, it looks very real and does not involve any arachnids. I also have an extreme obsession with skulls and skeletons. I am so amped that Dia De Los Muertos is coming!! My friend Maggie's mom is going to Mexico on her annual trip and she is supposed to bring me some things. But, back to Halloween. We have an inordinate amount of skull/skeleton art and decorations. I also adore gargoyles, we have one that I affectionately named George because he looks like good ol' W, in cartoon form. Why do I love skulls? I have no idea. I have almost as much Halloween stuff as I do Christmas stuff. I have some very good memories of Halloween as a kid. My gramp always wore a witch's hat and the fake mustache/glasses thing every year. We would go to his house to trick-or -treat, and he would pretend he didn't recognize us. Our neighbors also always gave us a bag of good stuff too. I had a friend whose grandmother was a creepy lady on a sunny summer day, so at Halloween she was uber-creepy. You had to reach into a coffin up on top of her grand piano to get your treat, so there was always the fear of the unknown in that. But it was fun and we felt like we had cheated death when we got Hershey's bars and didn't draw back a bloody stump. Oh, to be young again!! Now on to this year.... We have had a party for Halloween/Randy's B-day for the last couple of years. My husband, for those of you that don't know, is a shredding guitarist in a punk band. So, the band plays, the windows shake, beer is consumed, you get the picture right? I hope that this year is as much fun as years past, I'll let you know......

1 comment:

Kiira said...

PARTY! w007! Yay for drunk parents, bitchen music, and candy! Rachel and I WILL be there. Oh, Rose too. I didn't give her a choice, she's coming. haha